Friday, October 22, 2010
Thursday, October 21, 2010
Tuesday, April 27, 2010
Doubledecker is always a whirlwind...we set up, have the show and take it all down in one day. But this year was made doubly crazy by the weather. It was so bad that they had to postpone the show until Sunday which meant that not only was everything crammed into one day, but we also had to drive 3 hours back to Jackson when it was all over...after having gotten up at 4:30 AM!
Plus the wind was UNBELIEVEABLE on my corner where I was. Got to give props to my husband who created the weights that kept my whole set-up from "relocating". And more props to my incredible support staff...Dacia and Shaun. They were there with us in the early morning hours helping set up and cheering every step of the way.
Tuesday, April 13, 2010
Monday, April 5, 2010
Friday, April 2, 2010
Wednesday, March 31, 2010
Tuesday, March 30, 2010
This is a commissioned painting for a nice gentleman in Missouri. He found me via my blog (Yay blog!) by googling wine bottle artist (yay Google!). This is the second largest piece I have done.
I loved working on this painting! The wine bottles were "imported" to me, here in Mississippi, from Missouri. Each one is from a local Missouri winery that Jim and his wife have visited and each one has an interesting story to go with it.
It was a long back and forth process but this past week the painting finally went to its new home and Jim is very happy with it which makes me VERY happy!
Commissions are a diferent breed of painting....I explained it to Jim this way:
For a commissioned painting to be successful...
- first you have to realize what it is, exactly, that you want
- then you have to communicate that to me
- then I have to understand what you are saying that you want
- then I have to get my eyes, brain and brushes to execute what I heard that you want
- then when you see it you interpret, in your own way, to decide if it is what you wanted
Thursday, March 18, 2010
This is one of those paintings that has a mood to it. It is based on a photo I took of wine that my mom and I enjoyed at lunch one day on a shopping trip in Ocean Springs. (hey, we had to refuel for a long afternoon!)
Wednesday, March 17, 2010
Tuesday, March 16, 2010
Sunday, March 14, 2010
This is another one of those little landscapes....8x10 is counted as little when you're normally doing 30x40 or 20x24. This is one of those that benefited from my friend Julie's "smear tactics". I put the paint on the board and it was just terrible....so then I started in with the pallette knife, adding paint and loosening it up....and ended up with a painting that I just love! You know what they say...sometimes it's better to be lucky than good.
Thursday, March 11, 2010
Thursday, March 4, 2010
Wednesday, March 3, 2010
Monday, March 1, 2010
Friday, February 26, 2010
Thursday, February 25, 2010
Monday, January 11, 2010
For those of you who are just tuning in and for those who have not been paying attention here's what we are up against. I have a list of events and projects that would choke a water-buffalo. My mission is to get each item checked off the list in a timely manner, done to the best of my ability at the moment, and to enjoy the process. Some (but not all) of the items on this list include:
- a large commission piece featuring three wine bottles from a client in Missouri. Ready to start on this TODAY. (as soon as I finish this blog entry)
- Wedding for Dacia(my daughter) and Shaun (in June) This week's focus...send out save the date cards. This means finding addresses for the 100 people that I have not got addresses for. I just finished printing them and they are top-notch!
- Planning and hosting a shower for my little niece who is expecting her much anticipated first baby. : )
- My first solo art show will be February 18...did I mention that I will have to have 20 NEW paintings by then.
- Grandtwin's first birthday party is at our house on Feb. 6. I simply cannot believe that these little beauties are already going to be 1!!!!!!!!
- Engagement party for Dacia and Shaun is January 23, so in addition to the above I also have to lose 30 pounds by Jan 23.
- As an enhancement to the wedding weight loss we decided to sign up for the Rock-n-roll marathon in New Orleans in Feb. We had so much fun doing the 1/2 marathon(walking it, of course) for my 50th a couple of years ago, that we are doing it again. This means training for it....which we should have been doing for the last 2 months at least, but you know, the holidays and all. Plus it's been COLD!
I am sure there are more things that rightly should go on this list...but right now I am glad that I can't think of them. This is enough!
It's good to get this down in writing though. Not only does it motivate me to get going, but also if anyone doubts that I don't have time to do something that I tell them I don't have time for, I will refer them to my blog post from 1-11-10.